Monday, September 12, 2011

Behrang Yousefi on Hunt for Third Straight Win at “Chiller”

By KOTC Staff

It’s been ‘so far so good’ in the young MMA career of Behrang Yousefi, as since the 23 year-old turned pro earlier this year with King of the Cage Canada, the Iranian born fighter has gone 2-0, scoring wins over JJ Daoust and Nick Smith. Up next, Yousefi will look to remain undefeated against KOTC newcomer Marc Savoie, at the promotion’s upcoming September 17th  card in Yellowknife, NWT.

“I think Marc is a great competitor and challenge based on the footage I’ve seen,” said Yousefi about Savoie, who is coming off a submission win over Chad Anheliger. “He’s got an anvil for a chin and great submissions.”


To prepare for the bout, Yousefi has continued to train alongside several of Central Alberta’s established MMA and KOTC Canada veterans.

“I train at Pix Martial Arts in St.Albert with David Ansah, Jared Bussmakers, Tony Bibby and Team Red Dragons,” said Yousefi, who also works as a construction worker.

“My timing, accuracy and speed are my some of my stronger attributes,” he added while evaluating his strengths.

Although the road Yousefi took to professional MMA is likely not similar to the one that other scheduled competitors for the “Chiller” card took, the undefeated fighter reports that martial arts has been part of his life since for years.

“I’ve been involved with Martial Arts since I was a child,” said Yousefi. “I took Karate in Iran, Judo in Germany and I am currently taking Jiu Jitsu and Muay Thai. I do it because I believe it’s a great way to express myself, MMA is physical poetry. Fighting moves and inspires me to better myself and my life.”

“I’m from Bandar Abass, Iran,” the Red Dragons fighter added while discussing his childhood. “I stayed in Sweden for six months, then moved to Germany and lived in a refugee camp for a year when I was eight years old, then moved to Canada three years later. I’m a Persian, German, Canadian.”

In April, Yousefi made his pro debut at KOTC Canada’s “Mile Zero” against the aforementioned Daoust, and submitted him with a first round, rear-naked-choke.

“I made some amateur mistakes against JJ but was able to make the most of it,” Yousefi admitted when asked about his pro debut and whether nerves played a factor. “I wasn’t nervous. I don’t get nervous before I fight; I’ve faced far greater challenges and life. Fighting doesn’t scare me.”

Although Yousefi stopped Nick Smith in the first round with strikes at Brawl in the Mall 5 in July, the fighter apparently wasn’t happy with how he scored his second pro win.

“I’m not pleased with my performance against Nick Smith,” Yousefi noted. “I feel that I have a lot more talent then I got to display in that fight.”

Although Yousefi did not care to offer a prediction on his upcoming bout with Savoie, aside from promising that he will “pour his heart out in that cage,” the 2-0 fighter did offer this when asked about his aspirations in the sport.

“I hope to inspire and motivate people through my fights,” Yousefi noted. “I fight for a better quality of life not just for myself but all those who are dear to my heart. It would be a dream come true when I turn fighting into a full time career.”

“Chiller” will beheadlined by a 215lb catch-weight bout between Canadian middleweight champ Elmer Waterhen and Zach Blaber, and will be hosted by the Yellowknife, Arena.