Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Former KOTC Champ Tim Hague Planning "Great Show" for Grande Prairie Fans


Later this month, one of Canada’s most established heavyweights will return to the promotion where his accomplished career began: King of the Cage Canada. On April 28th, former KOTC Canadian champion Tim Hague will head to Grande Prairie, Alberta, to take on rising heavyweight Jordan Tracey, and the UFC veteran couldn’t be happier about it.


“It’s awesome,” said Hague, who made his pro debut for KOTC Canada in 2006 and proceeded to score victories over fellow vets like Jared Kilkenny, Ruben Villareal and Sherman Pendergarst under the promotion's banner. “It’s where I started my career and I’m 8-0 for King of the Cage so far. I want to keep the perfect record intact and put on a great show for the fans.”

The card, which is being presented by Unified MMA, will be hosted by Grande Prairie’s Crystal Centre.

“I’ve never competed there but I’m really excited to,” said the 28 year-old “Thrashing Machine". “It’s a bit of a newer market and I’m just excited to put on a great show for the fans and show them what a UFC level competitor is able to do.”

 In Tracey, Hague will face a heavyweight who is coming off back-to-back wins over Ali Saif and Troy Wilton.

“I think it was maybe his last fight I watched on Youtube and from what I’ve heard he trains out of the Gracie Barra gym in Vancouver,” Hague noted. “So I’m expecting his jiu-jitsu to be his strong point and just go from there.”

“It might be a bit of an advantage but I don’t think it’s necessarily a disadvantage for me,” Hague added, when asked if he’s concerned by the fact that there’s much more footage available of him fighting than the less experienced Tracey.

“He might be able to pick up on a few things and game plan accordingly but I try to fight every fight differently. I’m trying to game plan accordingly for him as well. It’s going to be a battle of wills as always.”


Heading into the upcoming “Unified” card Hague is three and one in his last four fights, with his only loss during that stretch coming against Matt Mitrione, which took place at a UFC Fight for the Troops card last January.

“Mentally I’m a totally different kind of fighter than the last time you saw me in the UFC,” said Hague. “My head is cleared and I’m happy nowadays. I enjoy training again and I enjoy going to the gym. I’m also getting more out of my workouts.”

“I don’t want to underestimate Jordan at all but I’m hoping to exploit his inexperience,” Hague added. “I want to take over the fight early, work my game and show what I’ve got.”

And to prepare for his KOTC return, Hague continues to enlist the help of some of Edmonton’s most experienced trainers and fighters.

“The same guys have been helping me,” Hague furthered. “Kyle Cardinal, Victor Valimaki; been picking up new tricks here and there. I’ve been watching lots of videos and learning new techniques.”

Tickets for the April 28th card can be purchased at the Crystal Centre Box Office.

“Unified” will also feature a bout between Behrang Yousefi and Josh Machan for the KOTC Canadian Bantamweight title, as well as, Travis Briere challenging an opponent to be determined for the Unified welterweight belt.