Monday, September 20, 2010

Kizuik Stops Ritch; Kupsch Talks KOTC “Sentinel”

By KOTC Staff Chris Kizuik took a big step forward in circulating his name throughout the MMA world on Saturday night, as the rising fighter stopped hundred fights plus veteran Shannon “The Cannon” Ritch in the first round, at King of the Cage Canada’s Sentinel” card in Cold Lake, Alberta.

“After the stoppage to check my cut, I just remember Shannon attempting a heel hook when I was able to spin out and jump on top into full mount,” said Kizuik while discussing his latest win. “I knew that I had to take advantage from here and I just started to throw punches until the referee stoppage. It was a great feeling to come back like that on such an experienced fighter.”

“If I get noticed from this then that's great,” Kizuik added. “My focus right now is to get back in the gym and keep training.”

The victory marks the latest achievement in the brief MMA career of Kizuik, who has now gone 3-0 fighting for KOTC Canada in 2010, after he began training in the sport just last year.

“Kizuik did very well taking on one of the most experienced fighters in the world,” said KOTC Canada promoter Ken Kupsch. “Ritch cut him bad early in the fight, but in spite of that, Kizuik came through with the win.”

“It definitely feels good, I am grateful for the opportunity to fight a guy with as much experience as him,” Kizuik said. “I still have lots to work on and I want to build off this win.”

It remains to be seen when and who the Gracie-Barra Fort McMurray fighter will face next.

“I would like to fight again soon; I'll have to wait and see what's offered to me,” Kizuik stated. “I will talk with my coaches and we will decide in the next couple weeks what we want to do. I don't have anyone in mind; I know the competition is only going to get more difficult and I look forward to the challenge.”

“Sentinel” also saw Elmer Waterhen stop experienced grappler Samurai Khardassian in the second round, giving the experienced KOTC vet his 7th pro win.

“Waterhen did an excellent job of defending Khardassian’s submission attempts and almost finished it at the end of the first round,” Kupsch noted. “Waterhen has fought the toughest fighters in KOTC and always puts on an exciting show. We hope to have him fight for a title again in the near future.”

“Unfortunately Joe Riggs was unable to fight but we did see that he has a lot of fans,” Kupsch added about Riggs, who had originally be scheduled to fight Khardassian on the card. “He signed autographs and did photos with every single fan that asked. Riggs will be fighting on the November 21st show at Rexall Place in Edmonton.”

Other winners in Cold Lake Saturday included Jon Ganshorn, Peter Nolan, Keenan Feeney and William Hatch.

“The Cold Lake crowd are definitely big MMA fans and we have already applied for another date to bring KOTC back.”